Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0 Stoke City - Match Report

11 April 2010 04:13
Wolves inched a point closer to Premier League survival after a dour goalless draw with Stoke City at Molineux.

The stalemate moved Mick McCarthy's side six points clear of the drop zone with just four games remaining.

- Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0 Stoke City: As it happened

It also saw Stoke extend their unbeaten away run to six games - their best in the top-flight for 30 years.

Wolves' failure to breach the Stoke rearguard was no real surprise as they have found goals hard to come by in front of their own fans.

They have now failed to score in seven of their last eight home games and are without a goal at Molineux in 12 hours and 40 minutes.

Despite their lack of goals, they are on course to avoid relegation while Stoke, who have lost just twice in 14 matches, remain in contention for a top 10 finish.

Stoke relied on their aerial power and the long throw of Rory Delap - he launched the ball into the area a staggering 25 times - to try and crack the Wolves defence.

They dominated the opening period but they were unable to turn that pressure into a breakthrough.

Central defender Abdoulaye Faye twice headed Delap throw-ins narrowly wide and saw another effort drift just over the bar from a Glenn Whelan cross.

Robert Huth and Dean Whitehead were also narrowly off target with close-range headers.

But despite Stoke's pressure, it was Wolves who created the best chance before half-time.

David Edwards ghosted into space in the 27th minute to meet a corner from Dave Jones only to see his neat close-range header saved by Thomas Sorensen.

While clear openings were hard to come by in the first half, they were virtually non-existent after the break.

Mamady Sidibe, who would later limp off with what appeared to be a hamstring strain, should really have done better in the 53rd minute when he was unmarked at the far post only to blaze a Danny Higginbotham cross over the bar.

Edwards carried Wolves' greatest threat but was again denied by a smart save from Sorensen after 55 minutes before the Danish keeper prevented a late winner by saving a Nenad Milijas free-kick in stoppage time.

Source: DSG