Wolverhampton 3-2 Bristol City: Match Report

26 December 2016 05:34

Ivan Cavaleiro punishes Bristol City with late penalty

Wolves winger Ivan Cavaleiro handed Paul Lambert his first home win as his late strike from the penalty spot sealed a 3-2 Sky Bet Championship victory over Bristol City at Molineux.

Cavaleiro made no mistake with his spot-kick in the 84th minute after Aden Flint had handled a flick from Joe Mason .

Wolves had made the perfect start when Dave Edwards gave them the lead after only three minutes with his sixth goal of the season and his third in five games.

But the Robins took control of affairs in a frantic end to the first half when Tammy Abraham drew them level with his 14th goal of the campaign in the 38th minute before Flint gave them the lead 60 seconds before the interval.

Helder Costa then volleyed home a 57th-minute cross from Conor Coady to draw Wolves level before Cavaleiro completed the comeback.

It earned back-to-back wins for Wolves but was a seventh defeat in eight games for Bristol City, who have not won at Molineux since 1931.

Wolves made the perfect start when Costa's corner was then met with the deftest of touches by Edwards, who glanced his header past goalkeeper Frank Fielding.

Considering their recent poor run, it would have been easy for City to fold after such an early setback.

But they made a determined bid to find a way back into the match with Abraham being denied by goalkeeper Carl Ikeme after he waltzed his way into the penalty area before Luke Freeman flashed a shot wide.

While City chased an equaliser, they were indebted to Fielding keeping the deficit down to only one following a smart double save in the 20th minute.

First he pushed out a shot from Cavaleiro and then kept out the follow-up from close range by Edwards.

It was a vital intervention by Fielding and the full value of it became apparent when the Robins drew level seven minutes before half-time.

A pass from Lee Tomlin pierced the centre of the Wolves defence and Abraham held off the challenge of Danny Batth to beat Ikeme with a rising drive.

Having been stunned to be dragged back on to level terms, worse was to follow for Wolves when Flint put City in control on the stroke of half-time.

He rose above the Wolves defence to powerfully head home a left-wing corner from Josh Brownhill.

Abraham was then denied a second goal by a last-ditch block by Richard Stearman in the 51st minute before a touch of class by Costa put Wolves back into the match.

Coady's long cross from the right wing flew straight to the far post and was converted with a first-time volley by Costa.

Wolves were revived after Costa's strike but looked set to be denied by Fielding, who saved from Matt Doherty and Edwards only to be then given no chance from the spot by Cavaleiro.

Wolves then rode their luck in stoppage time when Marlon Pack's header was cleared off the line.

Source: PA