skip to content

Wigan may appeal Figueroa red card - Martinez

04 Dec 2012 17:46:52

Wigan may appeal Figueroa red card - Martinez

Wigan Athletic coach Roberto Martinez says he is considering an appeal against the dismissal of defender Maynor Figueroa in his side's 3-0 Premier League loss at Newcastle United.

Figueroa was shown a straight red card after only 12 minutes of Monday's match at St James' Park for a foul on Papiss Cisse that allowed Demba Ba to put Newcastle ahead from the penalty spot.

Further goals from Ba and 19-year-old substitute Gael Bigirimana saw Newcastle end a run of five consecutive defeats, and Martinez felt referee Mike Jones' decision to dismiss Figueroa was unfair.

"We will look into it. The red card obviously has to be because he is stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity," he said.

"It's difficult to see how a striker is going to score a goal if the ball is divided between two players.

"Both players are allowed to challenge for the ball. As a defender, you are always going to be strong; as a striker, you are going to invite the contact.

"It is shoulder to shoulder for me. What is important is that the contact was shoulder to shoulder, and that's allowed.

"In the laws of the game, you are allowed to challenge for the position. We will have to look into it if we can appeal for the red card."

Ba doubled the home side's lead after 21 minutes when he tapped home after Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi could only parry a rasping effort from Newcastle full-back Davide Santon.

Bigirimana made the game safe 19 minutes from time, dropping his shoulder and firing a left-footed shot into the top-left corner from outside the penalty area to register his first goal for the club in style.

Ba's brace took his tally for the season to 10 league goals and Necwastle coach Alan Pardew said the club were determined to see him sign a new contract.

The Senegalese international has a £7.5 million ($12.1 million, 9.2 million euros) release clause in his contract and Newcastle's efforts to renegotiate the deal have so far proved fruitless.

The clause will be reactivated once the January transfer window opens but Pardew says the club are hopeful he will stay.

"The truth of it is that Demba has got a clause in his contract and it is still hanging over us," said the Newcastle manager.

"We have tried to negotiate away and we have not managed to do that as yet.

"But the one thing I will say on a positive note is that he has never -- if I am honest -- looked me in the eye and looked like he wanted to do anything else but stay here, and I hope he does."


AFP

Sponsored links