skip to content

Real Madrid table bid for Wigan's Antonio Valencia

More

19 May 2009 13:19:57

Real Madrid table bid for Wigan's Antonio Valencia

Manager Steve Bruce has conceded the 23-year-old, who has been attracting interest from bigger clubs for over year now, will leave the JJB Stadium this summer. However, as he did when Tottenham came in for midfielder Wilson Palacios in January, Bruce is determined to hold out for the best price. On that occasion he received £14 million for the Honduran, and the sale of Valencia is likely to bring in even more than that, with Manchester United also reported to be interested in the winger. "I believe Wigan will sell Antonio for the right offer and they will decide that once they receive that," Valencia's agent, Diego Herrera, said. "Real Madrid made an offer last week, but nobody from Wigan has told me of an offer from Manchester United. "There are a number of interested clubs and I will speak with Wigan about it this week. "Once the season is over I expect offers to be made and I will sit down with Antonio and decide what offer is in his best interests." Valencia is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury and it seems unlikely he will be fit for the final match of the season at home to Portsmouth on Sunday. But once the campaign is over Bruce will want to bring in as much as he can for the Ecuador international as soon as possible in order for him to begin adding to his squad. A striker is a priority and Bruce has been linked with Christian Benitez, Valencia's Ecuador team-mate, although the £7m asking price from Mexican club Santos Laguna may prove prohibitive.


Telegraph

Sponsored links

Facebook comments