Kapo vows to fight for place
Wigan midfielder Olivier Kapo is biding his time as he waits for a chance to impress boss Roberto Martinez. The French midfielder was injured during pre-season and is yet to feature under his new manager after becoming available to the first team again. The 29-year-old fell out of favour with former Latics boss Steve Bruce, making just 10 Premier League starts under him, but is hopeful his career at the club can finally lift off under Martinez. "All I want to do is play football. Now I am back in training, feeling good and looking forward to playing again," Kapo told the Evening Post. "It has been good to be playing with the reserves and going the full 90 minutes. I've played twice for them now and I'm happy with the progress being made. "For me, it's important to train and play well every week. But I need to get 90 minutes under my belt before I can join the first team." Wigan's next game is at home to Manchester City in the Premier League and, while Kapo accepts whichever line-up Martinez decides on, he is eager to prove his worth in training. "I'd like to play on a Saturday but it's not up to me to decide. "The manager can only put 11 players in the team, but I just want the chance to show what I can do. "I have told him I am OK to play. Training is very important for me - if I train well it means I can aim for the first team." Injury The former Juventus and Monaco man damaged knee ligaments during the club's pre-season tour of Austria and, after a long career to date, three months out has not fazed the Frenchman. "To pick up an injury so soon after the manager first came in wasn't too frustrating for me," he said. "I've played at a lot of clubs and worked with many managers to know that once you're fully fit you're given a chance to show what you can do, and that's no different here. "But I know my quality and I know what I have to do. It's up to the gaffer now." The former France international has also quashed persistent reports linking him with a return to his homeland, insisting he is happy at the DW Stadium as long as he is wanted. He said: "It seems that every summer I am linked with another club, particularly in France, but the truth is that I want to be here at Wigan, where I'm happy. "Last season was very difficult for me, because I had problems with Steve Bruce. I don't have that now. "I know the Premier League and, although the last year has been difficult, the bottom line is that I want to play. "If the team don't want me that's another question, but personally I want to play for Wigan Athletic, no one else. "I have a three-year contract. I like Wigan. It's where I want to be. I want to stay."
Related Wigan Athletic News