Pool thrash sorry Wigan

26 August 2009 09:52
// A bit of a hack but it works// The article snippet is wrapped onto a second line, even when #article-sub is emptyif( $("div#article-sub").children().length == 0 ) {$("div#article-sub").remove();} Championship side Blackpool produced an incredible upset in the Carling Cup by thumping Wigan 4-1.[LNB] The hosts took the lead in the opening stages when Ishmel Demontagnac lashed in a left-footed shot from the edge of the area.[LNB]Ben Burgess doubled the advantage inside 20 minutes when Wigan keeper Mike Pollitt somehow let his tame shot creep into the net.[LNB]Charlie Adam then increased the agony for the Latics after he pounced on his own penalty miss to stretch the lead to three, effectively killing off the contest.[LNB]Gary Taylor-Fletcher made the scoreline embarrassing when he struck midway through the second-half before Antonio Amaya headed in from a corner to grab a consolation deep into stoppage time.[LNB]New Wigan boss Roberto Martinez continued his baptism of fire as he saw his much-changed side ripped apart by lower-league opposition.[LNB]Dream StartThe Spanish manager made nine changes to his side but it was Blackpool who made the breakthrough when Demontagnac smashed a shot beyond Pollitt from around 20 yards.[LNB]It was the 21-year-old's first goal for Blackpool since he arrived at Bloomfield Road eager to get his career back on track after being sacked by Walsall.[LNB]Blackpool extended their lead in the 19th minute when Pollitt was slow to react as Burgess drilled in a long-range shot that did not seem to have enough power to trouble him.[LNB]But Pollitt allowed the ball to drift past him into the corner, leaving Wigan with an uphill task.[LNB]Blackpool were looking comfortable and Stephen Crainey tested Pollitt again in the 29th minute with an inswinging free-kick.[LNB]Wigan eventually responded but Scott Sinclair saw his shot beaten away by goalkeeper Matt Gilks.[LNB]It was a fleeting glimpse of attacking power from the top-flight side as Demontagnac unleashed another thunderbolt that Pollitt did well to block.[LNB]GoalsBlackpool then made it 3-0 in the 33rd minute with Wigan all at sea at the back as Paul Scharner conceded a penalty after flooring the onrushing Billy Clarke.[LNB]Charlie Adam stepped up and although Pollitt got across to his effort, he was unable to prevent him scoring from the rebound.[LNB]Wigan almost pulled a goal back in the 48th minute when Sinclair's free-kick evaded the wall only for Gilks to make a superb block.[LNB]Gilks again reacted quickly moments later to push away Ben Watson's effort before Blackpool made it four in the 66th minute with a marvellous strike from Taylor-Fletcher.[LNB]There seemed little on when he picked the ball up but he weaved his way into the area before finishing with aplomb.[LNB]Ormerod almost added a fifth goal in the 84th minute only for Pollitt to take the ball off his feet as he closed in on goal.[LNB]Wigan scored their consolation in stoppage time when new boy Amaya headed in Ben Watson's corner.[LNB]

Source: SKY_Sports