Wigan boss Roberto Martinez believes the capture of Victor Moses represents a major statement of intent about the club's ambitions for the future.
Moses, 19, completed his move from Crystal Palace on Monday for an undisclosed fee after signing a three-and-a-half-year contract at the DW Stadium. The England Under-19 striker had been courted by a number of clubs in the Barclays Premier League and Coca-Cola Championship and there was even rumoured to be interest from Real Madrid.
"I think it is very important because the player has chosen to come to us," Martinez said. "He is a very mature young man and he knows exactly what he wants. He wants to know about the future plans for the football club and his role at the club, so for him to choose Wigan Athletic is fantastic news for our fans."
He added: "It shows that we have a short-term aim to stay in the Premier League but a future plan as well.
"He is one of the most talented young footballers that we have got in the British game, so to be able to work with him and have a player that relies on his talent to be effective on the football pitch is very exciting news for Wigan.
"Those players don't appear too often. For us to be able to invest on Victor, I think it is clear, the determination of where we want to be as a football club."
In a statement on Wigan's website, Moses said: "To play in the Premier League is a dream and I want to thank Roberto Martinez and Wigan for giving me the chance to do that.
"I'm sad to leave Palace because they're a great club and gave me my chance in football and I want to say thanks to everyone there.
"But I need to prove myself now at Wigan and I'm going to focus on getting in the team and doing well for my new club."