Carling Cup Round-Up

26 August 2009 07:09
Blackpool dumped out Wigan, Spurs hit five past Doncaster and Carlisle shocked Bristol City. Stoke needed extra time to beat Leyton Orient, West Brom got the better of Rotherham in a seven-goal thriller, Newcastle rallied to beat Huddersfield and Cardiff proved too strong for Bristol Rovers, Blackpool created the biggest shock of the night in the second round of the Carling Cup with a thumping 4-1 win over Premier League outfit Wigan at Bloomfield Road. Ishmel Demontagnac set Blackpool on their way with his first goal for the club after just three minutes and Ben Burgess added a second on 19 minutes before Charlie Adam got in on the act on 33 minutes when he scored from a redbound after his penalty was saved by Mike Pollitt. Substitute Gary Taylor-Fletcher added a fourth for Blackpool on 67 minutes before debutant Antonio Amaya grabbed a last-minute consolation for Wigan. Last season's losing finalists Tottenham cruised into the third round with a 5-1 victory over Doncaster at the Keepmoat Stadium. Two goals in two minutes from Tom Huddlestone (9) and Jamie O'Hara (11) put Spurs in early command and Peter Crouch scored his first goal for Spurs following his summer arrival eight minutes before the break. David Bentley added a fourth on 52 minutes before Martin Woods reduced the arrears from the penalty spot just past the hour mark. Roman Pavlyuchenko got his name on the scoresheet on 69 minutes to seal a comfortable win for Harry Redknapp's side. Stoke needed extra time to beat League One Leyton Orient with Dave Kitson's first goal for the club giving the Premier League side a 1-0 win at Brisbane Road. Orient more than held their own throughout the game, but Kitson scored the all-important winning goal four minutes into the first half of extra time. Simon Cox's extra time winner earned West Brom a thrilling 4-3 win over League Two outfit Rotherham at the Hawthorns. Craig Beattie fired West Brom in front after just ten minutes only for Michael Cummins to draw Rotherham level on 29 minutes. Graham Dorrans restored West Brom's lead six minutes into the second half, but Tom Pope forced the game into extra time with a 52nd minute leveller. Pope gave Rotherham the lead for the first time in the game eight minutes into extra time, but Beattie responded with his second of the night three minutes later. Cox grabbed the winner for the Baggies with his first goal for the club four minutes from the end of extra time. League One side Carlisle knocked out Championship outfit Bristol City with an impressive 2-0 success at Ashton Gate. Second half goals from Scott Dobie (61) and Gary Madine (77) proved to be enough for the Cumbrians. Newcastle came from 3-1 down to beat Huddersfield 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller at St James' Park. Danny Guthrie gave Newcastle the lead on 36 minutes, but two goals in two minutes from Theo Robinson (37, 39) the second from the penalty spot turned the game on its head. Jordan Rhodes added a third two minutes after the break, but Geremi reduced the arrears 60 seconds later. Shola Ameobi drew Newcastle level from the penalty spot on 64 minutes and Kevin Nolan popped up with the winner six minutes from time to consign former Magpies star Lee Clark to defeat on his return to Tyneside. Michael Chopra continued his rich vein of form to help Cardiff to a 3-1 win over Bristol Rovers. Chopra netted his eighth goal of the season to give Cardiff the lead on 33 minutes and Peter Whittingham doubled the advantage after 66 minutes. Steve Elliott pulled a goal back for Bristol Rovers 15 minutes from time, but Josh Magennis made the game safe for Cardiff with a third goal four minutes from time.

Source: SKY_Sports