Chris Coleman has hinted his long-term future may not lie with Wales after admitting his frustrations at the periods of inactivity in the job.
Manager Coleman saw his side's 2014 World Cup aspirations all but ended by a 2-1 defeat to Croatia in Swansea on Tuesday, leaving them 10 points adrift of the Group A summit with just 12 points up for grabs.
Coleman said: "I have no idea if I will be in charge, but I have never once said I had plans to not be here."
After a testing start in the role after succeeding Gary Speed in the most difficult of circumstances, Coleman has found his feet and there have been encouraging signs since the watershed of September's humiliating 6-1 defeat in Serbia.
The Football Association of Wales have been pleased with the improvement in fortunes overseen by the former Fulham boss in recent months, and the squad are keen for him to be retained beyond the end of his existing contract, which runs through to the World Cup.
Coleman has previously stated he would like to remain in the role as he looks to help Wales secure a healthy seeding for the Euro 2016 qualification process.
But when asked if he felt he would be in charge of that campaign, he was not so committal.
Coleman added: "I think we can do something exciting with the players we have, but I still get frustrated because for the next four months there is no game and I struggle with that. I will be watching some football at the weekend but I will not be involved.
"I have loved the last 10 days in camp with the players, but now there is nothing for three or four months and I am not sure I will ever get to grips with that to be honest. I am not saying I want to walk out, I have not thought about it. The only thing to think about now is that we won't qualify for the World Cup, but can we finish third?
"We have four games left in this campaign and I will speak with the powers-that-be on what they have planned and what I have planned and we will see, but I have not thought about it."