Suarez given credit for apology by Valcke
FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke has given disgraced Uruguayan star Luis Suarez credit for apologising over the biting incident that saw him expelled from the World Cup.
Valcke, though, pointed out in an interview with Brazilian television station SportTV that Suarez' apology had not gone as far as accepting he had deliberately bitten Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini in a group game on June 24.
"It is good he has apologised," said the Frenchman.
"He does not, however, accept that it was intentional, he says it was an accident."
Valcke, who commented after the incident he felt Suarez should seek professional help as it was the third time he had been found guilty of biting an opponent, said he could not comment on how the apology could affect Suarez' appeal.
FIFA handed down a record nine international game suspension, a four month global ban from footballl and a six figure fine for the player.
"He has appealed, there is an ongoing legal process and if he is not happy with the outcome his final resort could be to take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)."
Related Uruguay News