skip to content

Scholes wants long Suarez ban

More

25 Jun 2014 11:02:11

Scholes wants long Suarez ban

Paul Scholes believes a 10-match ban or a suspension for the remainder for the World Cup tournament would not be sufficient punishment for Luis Suarez after another apparent bite by the Uruguay striker.

Suarez, twice convicted of biting earlier in his career, on Tuesday night appeared to bite Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's defeat of Italy.

Former England and Manchester United midfielder Scholes told paddypower.com: "Luis Suarez was banned for 10 games for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013. That obviously wasn't enough.

"On Tuesday night, with the biting incident on Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's Group D clash, Suarez embarrassed his club, country and family.

"Banning him for the rest of the World Cup is not enough, because Colombia will beat Uruguay in their next game anyway."

Scholes thinks Suarez's behaviour will overshadow his ability as a footballer in the minds of the viewing public.

"He will feel terrible, and the entire incident is such a shame because he's a tremendous player," Scholes added.

"But people will remember Suarez now for his biting antics at this World Cup rather than his supreme footballing ability."

Joey Barton has suggested Suarez's apparent bite is something which "comes with the territory" of being a winner.

Barton, no stranger to controversy himself, wrote on Twitter: "I love Suarez. I love his passion for the game. I would have him on my team everyday of the week. I am also aware you can't defend him here.

"All things considered I'd rather receive a bite than a leg-breaking challenge. Whilst he should be punished, it is not the end of the world.

"He's a winner. If that means he occasionally steps over the line between right and wrong, than thats what comes with the territory...

"Nobody's perfect..."

Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler thinks the Reds may sell Suarez after his latest apparent indiscretion.

Barcelona and Real Madrid have been linked with making big-money bids for the Uruguayan this summer.

"You can't defend him," Fowler told talkSPORT.

"Off the pitch he's an absolutely lovely fella. He does so much work for charity, does so much work in the community in Liverpool

"And I love him as a player, but you cannot condone what he has done.

"When he gets on the pitch he just becomes a different person. I'm flummoxed for words.

"It's a real, real tough predicament most Liverpool fans are in. They love him as a player, but he's continually dragging the club's name through the mud again.

"It's not right, especially after how they helped him last time. They tried to rehabilitate him.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he went now."


PA

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

advertisement

Related Uruguay News

advertisement

advertisment