FC Twente 1-1 Werder Bremen: Report

20 October 2010 10:47

Both FC Twente and Werder Bremen remain winless in Champions League Group A after sharing the spoils in an keenly contested 1-1 draw.

Theo Janssen opened the scoring for the hosts after 75 minutes but substitute Marko Arnautovic popped up with the equaliser for Bremen just five minutes later.

The stalemate leaves both sides on two points after picking up two draws and a defeat from each of their opening three games. They both trail second-placed Spurs by a point after the London club went down 4-3 to leaders Inter Milan.

The first half was a dreary affair with neither team creating much in front of goal.

Denny Landzaat, not known for his threat going forward, was the first to blink with a 25-yard effort after quarter of an hour that was always going wide of the target.

Hugo Almeida carved out Bremen's first chance of the night after 32 minutes, his left-footed effort from inside the area forcing Nikolay Mihailov into his first meaningful action of the half.

Four minutes later Bremen's night took a turn for the worse when they lost goalkeeper Tim Wiese to a knee injury, the Germany international replaced by Sebastien Mielitz between the sticks.

Six minutes before the break Landzaat created another shooting opportunity, this time the midfielder missing the target from inside the area.

Twente ended the half much the more threatening of the two sides and four minutes before the interval Marc Janko worked space on the edge of the Bremen area and fired in a shot that forced Mielitz to make a good parry.

Bremen looked brighter after the restart and three minutes in Beltrame Wesley forced Mihailov into a good stop.

Wesley also went close on 72 minutes with a drilled effort that sailed just wide, while moments later Aaron Hunt forced Mihailov into a save with an effort from the edge of the area.

The breakthrough arrived on 75 minutes when Janko's cross from the left was met by Janssen, who saw his initial effort kept out by Mielitz but was alert to the rebound and fired home.

The home side's lead lasted just five minutes before Bremen levelled.

Arnautovic started the move with a superb one-two played with Claudio Pizarro, before the striker buried the ball confidently beyond Mihailov.

Both sides had chances to win it in what time remained, first Janssen's left-footed lob bringing a superb save from Mielitz just moments after the equaliser, while Mihailov also covered himself in glory with a great stop from Marko Marin's free-kick with two minutes remaining.

Source: DSG