skip to content

Sherwood to curb his enthusiasm

More

22 Mar 2014 20:32:14

Sherwood to curb his enthusiasm

Tim Sherwood has been scrutinised ever since taking the Tottenham hotseat so is thankful for the support he has got from others in the management community, whose advice may see him tone down his touchline antics.

The 45-year-old was given his first role in management after impressing in interim charge of Spurs following the December sacking of Andre Villas-Boas.

Sherwood was handed an 18-month contract by the club he represented as a midfielder and, after a promising start, pressure has recently mounted as results began to go awry.

Holland boss Louis van Gaal is expected by many to come in at Tottenham after the World Cup, while Sherwood has been criticised by the likes of former Spurs frontman Gary Lineker.

That, though, is background noise for Sherwood, who is focusing on what has been said by those that have been in his position.

"I've had so many well wishers in the game, especially English managers," he said.

"They all want me to do well. Ex managers want me to do well.

"I feel the pressure of that because I really want do well, because I want to fly the flag for English managers. But I want to do it in my way.

"I know I'm in a privileged position to be given this opportunity at a big club and a lot of them start at a different level, but it hasn't spoilt their enthusiasm in wishing me well.

"It's a shame when you hear some people who should know a little bit better. It's a tough job.

"Until you've stood in that technical area, you don't really know. As much as I was close to it for many years, until you're there and the buck stops with you, you can't really comment.

"I do respect the people who have been in there and told me. And the other ones who have just passed comment, then I would say to them 'you don't know'."

One of the criticisms levelled at Sherwood is that he is too passionate on the touchline.

The Spurs boss threw his gilet at the bench in a fit of rage during last weekend's north London derby defeat at home to Arsenal, just days after quarrelling with Benfica boss Jorge Jesus on the sidelines.

Sherwood watched on from the Estadio da Luz directors' box for the second leg on Thursday, when Spurs exited the Europa League despite pushing the Portuguese giants during an impressive 2-2 draw.

The 45-year-old may again watch on from the stands when Spurs return to Barclays Premier League action against Southampton on Sunday and admits he may need to curb some of his emotional touchline outbursts.

"With respect to the man in the street, I don't listen to that too much but I listen to managers who have been in the situation," Sherwood said.

"I don't want to tell you who's contacted me but some people have given me a little bit of advice.

"But they know that I'm my own man and I'm not going to be anyone different and that's absolutely right.

"If I can try and be a bit calmer and not manage on emotion too much, I think it would help.

"Because I was allowed to sit up there and make a few notes and you see a different game up there. I'd never give a ball away by sitting up there."

Emmanuel Adebayor, Mousa Dembele and Younes Kaboul could all return against Southampton.

The trio missed the 2-2 draw at Benfica through injury but are in with a chance of returning on Sunday, when Jan Vertonghen will again be available having been suspended for Thursday's Europa League tie.

Artur Boruc expects Mauricio Pochettino to commit his future to Southampton by signing a contract extension "in the next few weeks".

Saints manager Pochettino has been the subject of intense speculation on his future ever since chairman Nicola Cortese quit St Mary's in January.

Ex-Argentina defender Pochettino refused to guarantee he would stay beyond the summer when Cortese walked out of the south coast club.

Owner Katharina Liebherr has put a new board of directors in place since then though, and goalkeeper Boruc believes Southampton is "stable" enough now for Pochettino to commit.

"You can see that we've improved, we're playing very good football and it's enjoyable to see us play," said Boruc.

"That reward should easily be in the minds of the board and I think sooner or later it's going to happen.

"We'll see what's going to happen in the next few weeks, but I think it will happen soon."

Morgan Schneiderlin and Guly Do Prado are rated as doubtful for the trip, according to Pochettino.

Midfielder Schneiderlin has a muscle problem around his pelvis leaving Southampton short of options in midfield with Jack Cork and Victor Wanyama still out.

Kelvin Davis also faces a late fitness test ahead of the clash.


PA

Sponsored links

Facebook comments