Lloris under media spotlight
Camera lenses will be searching for Hugo Lloris at Tottenham's training ground on Wednesday morning as the club hold their first training session since the goalkeeper was knocked out by Romelu Lukaku.
Even though Tottenham have registered three wins from their opening three matches, the Europa League has hardly set the collective pulse of the Tottenham faithful racing this season.
Low-key fixtures against Moldova's FC Sheriff, Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala and Norwegian minnows Tromso mean there has been little interest in how Spurs have fared in the competition.
That will change to a degree on Wednesday when the media descend upon Tottenham's training ground in Enfield to quiz Andre Villas-Boas at length about his controversial decision to keep Lloris on the field of play at Goodison Park, despite being knocked out cold in an accidental collision with Lukaku's left knee.
Experts believe there is a 99 per cent chance that Lloris was concussed in the incident. If he was, rules state the Frenchman should have been substituted.
FIFA, the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) and international players' union FIFPro have since condemned Villas-Boas' decision to keep the stopper on the pitch.
Spurs' press conference to preview Thursday's Group K match against Sheriff will take place at 12:30pm, two hours after an open training session.
Lloris was given the all-clear following a brain scan on Sunday night, but Spurs are expected to assess the player before deciding whether he should train on Wednesday or take part in the match at White Hart Lane.
Brad Friedel started the majority of Tottenham's Europa League matches last term, but it is understood Lloris told Villas-Boas at the start of the season that he wanted to play in the competition this year.
Nevertheless, it would be understandable if the Tottenham manager gave Lloris the night off, especially as a draw against the Moldovan minnows is likely to be enough to see Spurs through to the knockout stages.
Villas-Boas has confirmed he intends to field some players from the club's highly-rated development squad in the remaining games if Spurs qualify early.
"If we ensure qualification in first place, we will probably do that," Villas-Boas said.
"As soon as we achieve it, we can look at it as an opportunity to throw them into a senior game."
Eighteen-year-old midfielder Nabil Bentaleb, who was on the bench for Spurs' Capital One Cup win over Hull last week, will be given a chance if Spurs top Group K early.
"Nabil, definitely, is training so well that he is always in contention to break in to the team," Villas-Boas said.
Related Tottenham Hotspur News