Harry eyes San Siro smash-and-grab
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is planning a smash-and-grab in the passionate atmosphere of the San Siro on Wednesday. The 63-year-old believes he must forsake the open, attacking style his team have made their trademark when they come up against Inter Milan in the Champions League. But he insists Spurs can catch the Champions League holders on the break and return to White Hart Lane with at least a point to give them a real chance of progressing to the knockout stage. Tottenham began their first campaign in Europe's elite club competition encouragingly by taking a point from Werder Bremen in Germany and then destroying FC Twente 4-1 at home. Inter, under the new management of Rafael Benitez, is a step up but Redknapp remains confident he can juggle the physical demands of the Barclays Premier League with the pressures of Europe's top tournament. Redknapp said: "We can't go out there and be wide open. We've got to be sensible against the better teams. "We have to be difficult to beat, first and foremost. I wouldn't sit here and kid ourselves - if we came back with a point we would all be delighted. "We want to win, obviously, but you have got to hit them on the break. You are not going to suddenly start swarming all over them. They are a top team." Redknapp's assistant Joe Jordan has been out to Italy to compile a dossier on Inter and Tottenham will have them watched again against Cagliari in Serie A on Sunday. Striker Diego Milito and midfielder Esteban Cambiasso are both likely to miss Wednesday's tie after picking up injuries in Argentina's defeat by Japan last weekend but Redknapp is aware of Inter's strength in depth. "They have real dangers," said Redknapp. "(Samuel) Eto'o is playing fantastic at the moment for them. It will be a great game for the players to go there and show what they can do. "We have always got attacking players. Whoever we pick we will have our share of players who want to go forward and create and score goals. That is how we play." The experience of Rafael van der Vaart has been crucial so far but the Holland midfielder will be missing at the San Siro after his red card against Twente. Redknapp said: "He's got off to a great start. He's won the fans over early so it couldn't have gone better. He's had a couple of victories with Holland and played well so it has been a good week. "You either play him on the right or off the striker. He has that freedom. We don't ask him to do many duties in midfield. You have to utilise his strengths and balance the team around him to get the best out of him." Redknapp, however, has admitted the Premier League remains his priority, in as much as he believes Tottenham have a better chance of qualifying for next season's Champions League by finishing fourth in the domestic league rather than winning the trophy outright. So he is likely to juggle his squad and that could mean an appearance for Niko Kranjcar. The Croatian has been consigned largely to the bench this season because of the brilliant form of Gareth Bale down the left. But he scored twice for Croatia against Israel in last weekend's Euro 2012 qualifier and followed that up with the winner in Tuesday's friendly against Norway. Redknapp said: "He's been so unlucky not to play. He's such a good player but the whole squad is playing well. "We've had a great start. We played well in Germany and had a great win against FC Twente. It's still going to be tough. "Our group is so tight. We've two games against Inter Milan now and I think we have to get some points from those games. "It's a big challenge and a fantastic game to look forward to."
Related Tottenham Hotspur News