- Tottenham Hotspur News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Bassong set for Tottenham stay
Published : 27 Jan 2011 13:30:15
Sebastien Bassong insists he will not be leaving Tottenham this month after holding talks with Harry Redknapp over his future at the club.
The Cameroon international, who was linked with Paris St Germain last month, held talks with Redknapp recently in a bid to clarify his position at the club and insists he is now fully committed to staying at White Hart Lane.
"We both spoke. I said to him (Redknapp) what I thought, how I saw the things and he gave me answers," Bassong told French newspaper Le Figaro. "When you do not speak with your coach, it is hard to know what he thinks. Things were said. Today, I am quite glad to have had this discussion. I will remain in Tottenham. I belong to Spurs."
Bassong, 24, was a regular at the heart of the Spurs defence last season but has made only four league starts this term thanks to the emergence of first-choice centre-half pairing of Michael Dawson and William Gallas.
Younes Kaboul also appears to be ahead of the former Newcastle man in the pecking order while Jonathan Woodgate's anticipated return from injury would further increase competition for a place in the Tottenham defence, which has been further boosted by the signing of South Africa centre-back Bongani Khumalo
Bassong is not worried about his future though and is confident that competition will bring out the best in the squad as they look to push for honours on three fronts.
"It is similar everywhere in all the large clubs. There is competition, but, with all the matches left this season, I will get my chance, it is a certainty," Bassong added. "There are only two places every weekend."
Khumalo and compatriot Steven Pienaar have been the only arrivals at White Hart Lane this month but a number of deals could be concluded by the time the transfer window shuts on Monday. West Ham are still interested in signing striker Robbie Keane while Giovani dos Santos could also leave after playing a limited role this season.
Midfielder Jamie O'Hara is determined to go out on loan after taking another step back to recovery from a long-term back injury against Charlton in a friendly this week. The 24-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Portsmouth, is in danger of being dropped from Tottenham's 25-man squad and has been linked with West Ham and Stoke.
O'Hara said on his Twitter feed: "The game was against Charlton, quite a few first team lads played, score was 4-1 I think, just needed to get another game under my belt, not sure whether I'll be in squad, need to go on loan to get some games missed too much already this season so wanna be playing every week."