Former Socceroo Culina leaves Sydney FC
Sydney FC said on Monday it had mutually agreed with two-time Australian World Cup midfielder Jason Culina to terminate his playing contract, days after his reported bust-up with coach Frank Farina.
Culina signed with Sydney for the remainder of the season in October and in a statement issued by the club said the circumstances surrounding his departure were unfortunate but he hoped to continue his career.
"Sydney FC has this afternoon agreed to mutually terminate the contract of Jason Culina," the club's chief executive Tony Pignata said.
"We would like to wish Jason the best of luck with the rest of his football career."
Culina, who has played 58 internationals for his country including the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, joined Sydney after undergoing lengthy rehabilitation from a knee injury that threatened to end his playing career.
The 32-year-old made eight appearances and scored two goals for the Sky Blues, whose line-up boasts Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero, but reportedly exchanged heated words with Farina during training last week.
"I would like to thank Sydney FC for assisting me with my rehabilitation and my return to football," Culina said in a statement.
"The circumstances surrounding my departure are unfortunate but I feel fit and strong and I am determined to continue my playing career in the future."
Culina was an Eredivisie winner with Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven over a 10-year period before returning home to play for Gold Coast in the A-League in 2009.
Related Sydney FC News