skip to content

WORLD CUP 2010: Darren Bent vows to turn his England misery into more goals for Sunderland

More

02 Jun 2010 09:11:54

WORLD CUP 2010: Darren Bent vows to turn his England misery into more goals for Sunderland

Sunderland striker Darren Bent has admitted to being disappointed at being left out of England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa. Bent had been in coach Fabio Capello's 30-strong squad before the Italian dropped the Sunderland forward and six other players yesterday. Bent netted 25 goals for Sunderland last season but did not score in either of his starts for England, against Brazil in November and Japan on Sunday. Goals pay the rent: But Darren Bent won't be able to transfer his Sunderland form to the World Cup after being dropped from the England squad Bent lost out to Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey in a cull of the squad which also meant Theo Walcott, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Adam Johnson, Michael Dawson and Leighton Baines would not be flying out to South Africa later today. 'It's a case of fully concentrating on my football for Sunderland and doing my best for them'Bent said: 'I feel really disappointed. I have always said to myself, if you play well and do your best for Sunderland, then there is a chance you can go to the biggest tournament in the world. But obviously on this occasion it has not worked out. 'Straight away from when Mr Capello spoke to me and told me I wouldn't be involved in the 23-man squad my thoughts turned to next season and how I can improve on what I have done for Sunderland this year. 'I am going to take some time off now and rest my bones after what has been a great season for me and get ready for next year. It's a case of fully concentrating on my football for Sunderland and doing my best for them. 'Of course, I still want the boys to do well. I have got a lot of friends in the England set-up. They are a great bunch of lads and, even though I won't be there, I will be supporting them.'  WORLD CUP 2010: Theo Walcott axed from England squad as Fabio Capello confirms his chosen 23WORLD CUP 2010: Fabio Capello confirms England's 23-man squad for South AfricaEXCLUSIVE: Liam in line to be first arrival! Celts bid £1.5m for LawrenceComplete lowdown on all 32 squads in the frame for South AfricaSUNDERLAND FC


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

Related Sunderland News

advertisement

advertisment