- Sunderland News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Players in no doubt what Bruce expects
Published : 04 Sep 2009 08:56:41Rss feed
HAVING allowed six more players to leave in the last week, Steve Bruce has left the rest of his Sunderland squad in no doubt that if they are not performing they will not be staying. After taking his time to evaluate the squad he inherited in June, Bruce has shown his ruthless streak after deciding a number of those players did not fit into his plans. Out have gone Grant Leadbitter, Carlos Edwards, Danny Collins, Teemu Tainio and Paul McShane, who followed the likes of Dean Whitehead and Anthony Stokes through the exit door. There were also attempts to move Anton Ferdinand on, and there is expected to be completely new look Sunderland defence when Hull visit the Stadium of Light on September 12. The sudden turnaround in personnel followed disappointing displays against Stoke City and Blackburn when Bruce who yesterday confirmed Lorik Cana will be his captain this season is known to have aired a few home truths. Phil Bardsley, one of those to have survived the cull and hoping to retain his place against Hull, has been surprised by the sudden departures but he knows more will follow if performances do not improve. You never know what is going to happen in this game, said Bardsley. A new manager has come in and brought in his own ideas. Hes been here a while and obviously made one or two decisions. The message I suppose is that you have to perform to the maximum of your ability week in, week out. If your time is up then you go and find a new club. You might have to do that its not the be all and end all. The manager is bringing in his own ideas and stuff but its all good. Im still here so I have to make the most of my chance. Obviously the manager knows what hes doing. While surprised at some of the sales, Sunderlands decision to invest more than £30m in the squad this summer has changed the face of the team, with the spine undergoing a complete transformation. The acquisition of Michael Turner the final piece of Bruces summer spending from Hull for £6.5m is likely to see him partnered in defence by one of two other recent recruits, John Mensah or Paulo Da Silva. Bardsley said: The club have got the sort of money to go out and splash the cash and bring in that sort of player (Turner), which is great for the club and great for all the fans, the players and everyone else associated with it. It only means one thing the club is going in the right direction. Its up to us now to get on the pitch and do the business. Everything is about communication and having a new defence is a challenge. But Michael is an experienced lad who played in the Premier League last season. He has come here to make an impression and try and get in the England squad. Hull goalkeeper Boaz Myhill has signed a new threeyear deal at the KC Stadium. The 26-year-old Wales international, who has played for the Tigers in all four professional divisions, is now committed until 2012. Myhill joined Hull from Aston Villa in a £50,000 deal six years ago.