Darren Bent may recover in time for Sunderland's tie with Blackburn, says Steve Bruce
Bruce will wait until Sunderland's medical experts have had chance to examine the groin injury that scuppered Bent's chances of spearheading England's attack in the Euro 2012 qualifier before making a decision on his readiness for Premier League duties. Until he sustained an injury in training on Monday, Bent was expected to make his first competitive international start at Wembley having broken his England duck as a substitute in last month's 3-1 victory over Switzerland in Basle. 'Benty's had a scan and England have confirmed that he won't play any part tonight,' Bruce said. 'We're hoping it's not too serious but Darren's still with England at the moment so we won't put any timescales until our own medical team have had a chance to assess the injury.' Bruce will be keen to have Bent available for the visit to Ewood Park because the former Tottenham, Charlton and Ipswich striker has scored five of Sunderland's seven goals in the Premier League this season. Looking further ahead, Sunderland supporters will also have cause for concern over Bent's fitness because Bruce's side face arch-rivals Newcastle in the Tyne-Wear derby at St James' Park on Saturday, October 31. Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce will be hoping that Bent does not recover in time for the televised game because the 26-year-old scored both Sunderland goals in a 2-2 draw in the corresponding fixture last season when he scored a total of 24 league goals following his £10-million move from Spurs.
Related Sunderland News