skip to content

Curbishley calls on England boss Capello to pick Bent for World Cup

13 Nov 2009 11:43:34

Curbishley calls on England boss Capello to pick Bent for World Cup

Red-hot: Bent has scored eight goals this season Alan Curbishley insists England boss Fabio Capello should take Sunderland striker Darren Bent to next year's World Cup in South Africa. Bent could make his first appearance for the Three Lions in a year after being called up for Saturday's friendly against Brazil. The 25-year-old has been in top form this season and scored eight goals for the Black Cats in the Barclays Premier League. And his former manager at Charlton, Curbishley, says he would have been surprised if Capello had not picked Bent for the clash with the Brazilians. Curbishley told BBC Sport: ''I would take him to the World Cup for two reasons. Firstly, for his fitness levels - he's always top notch. And secondly, if you're not going to start him, then I think he will come on and change the dynamic of the game. 'He would bring something different to the squad because he wants to go behind defences and I don't see too many English strikers doing that. Jermain Defoe is probably the only other one. Back in the fold: Bent (far right) trains with the England squad earlier this week 'He's a very, very good finisher, but he's also good in the air, deceptively so. He gets his fair share of headed goals as well. As a squad member he's got to have a chance.'  Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn: We're not all mercenaries and Didier Drogba proves thatTriallist Michael Ball hopes to land Wigan deal as Sunderland step up Maynor Figueroa chaseMARTIN SAMUEL: The door to the Champions League is open...will anyone push?SUNDERLAND FC


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Sunderland News

advertisement

advertisment