The Ghana international impressed in bursts last term, netting 10 goals in the Premier League, but a hamstring injury cut his season short.
Signed for £13million from Rennes on the back of a lively World Cup, Bruce expects big things from the 25-year-old this time around.
"I think Gyan will be far, far better this year than he was last year," Bruce told the Daily Star Sunday. "We want him to improve. He got a bad injury towards the end of last season, so I think it's a big year for Gyan and hopefully he can be better than he was.
"He certainly understands English football a bit better. He got 11 goals for us last season, so he's got a chance to get 20 this time."
Gyan was rumoured to be a target for Tottenham earlier in the summer, but Bruce has confirmed he is yet to hear of an enquiry for the former Udinese striker.
Bruce confirmed: "I've seen the speculation about him but certainly, as far as I'm aware, there have been no enquiries."
Bruce plans to link-up Gyan with £6million January signing Stephane Sessegnon, who was signed as an attacking midfielder from Paris Saint-Germain but played in a striker's role at times last season.
"He's a natural," said Bruce of the Benin international. "The link-up with Gyan is something that excites me.
"We didn't do it much last season, but we did it at West Ham on the final day and won 3-0. The pair of them did very well."