Bordeaux admit Chamakh error

04 December 2009 02:17
Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud has admitted that his club have made a mistake in not offering star striker Marouane Chamakh a new contract earlier in a bid to ward off a number of interested clubs. The 25-year-old Morocco international has been linked with a number of clubs in England and is out of contract at the end of the season with the French champions. Triaud told L'Equipe: "You can say we've dealt with it badly. We should have acted earlier. "We took weeks, months to identify his adviser - we didn't know who he was. But it's true, we should have acted, discussed things a season earlier. "I read that he wasn't financially well considered at Bordeaux. When he signed he was a young promising player. "That's not the case anymore, but the offer we've made him would put him at the top of the scale. "We've told him he can have as many years as he wants. Two, three, four years, whatever he wants. We offered him a revaluation of his salary with a retroactive effect back from July 1 2009. "We're not running after him, he has the cards in his hands. It's up to him to come to us now."

Source: ESA