Bent defends penalty charity
Darren Bent has defended his act of charity towards strike partner Kenwyne Jones, despite incurring the wrath of Sunderland manager Steve Bruce. Black Cats penalty-taker Bent, who had already opened the scoring from the spot against Wolves, allowed Jones to slot home the second from 12 yards at the Stadium of Light on Sunday. Bruce was not impressed with the actions of the former Spurs striker and let the big-money summer signing know after the match, which Sunderland won 5-2, that a repeat would not be tolerated. Bent has admitted his generosity was perhaps badly timed, but he believes that keeping all the club's forwards among the goals can only be beneficial for the Black Cats in the long term. "I thought Kenwyne had been playing really well without getting the goal he deserved. He told me he fancied it and since I had already scored one I said 'have it'," he said. "I think if he hadn't scored the first from the spot, maybe he wouldn't have scored his second goal which was really important. I was happy for him as well but the gaffer had a go at me afterwards. "Thinking about it now, maybe I shouldn't have done it because if Kenwyne hadn't scored, he wouldn't have been at all happy. But Kenwyne being Kenwyne, I knew he was going to score. "Even though the manager had a little go at me, I think it's important that all of the strikers are firing. It's not just about me, it's vital Kenwyne is firing and Fraizer Campbell too. "It can only be good for the club that we have got so many players who are in good form and scoring goals." Bent has been touted for a possible England recall after his blistering start to the season and is eager to his add to his four-cap haul with next summer's World Cup in South Africa on the horizon. The former Charlton forward was not selected in 2006 under Sven Goran Eriksson and, while he is desperate to avoid a repeat of that misery, he insists that his focus remains firmly on scoring for his club. He added: "I was unfortunate to miss the last World Cup. I remember I scored a lot of goals, 22, that season and I was at the same stage that year that I am now - seven in seven. But I didn't go and it was a big disappointment. "If that happened again I would be heartbroken again but I can't let that affect me or worry me because the important thing is scoring for Sunderland. "I can't do much more than I'm doing at the moment. Hopefully, the England coach is watching but if he's not, I won't let my head drop. I'll just keep knocking them in for Sunderland. "I definitely still believe I'm an England player. I've not had the best of luck with England. If I get a regular run in the team and play some games in the run-up to the World Cup I'd back myself every day of the week to score goals for my country and play well."
Related Sunderland News