skip to content

Exclusive Interview With Mama Sidibe

06 Dec 2010 15:50:14

Exclusive Interview With Mama Sidibe

Matt Dodd speaks to the stricken striker STOKE City striker Mamady Sidibe has revealed he will be back in action as early as January, after an Achilles injury initially ruled him out for the season. The Malian was stretchered off in the home defeat to Tottenham earlier this season, with Stoke boss Tony Pulis fearing his season was over. But Sidibe is recovering well and will be available for selection in the New Year. “At the moment it (the recovery) is going very well,” said Sidibe, “I saw the specialist in London and he’s given me the green light to start more stuff. “I will probably be running in one or two weeks. Everything is fine and I am looking to be playing in January.” Sidibe’s return could give Pulis a selection headache, but given the form of strikers Kenwyne Jones and Ricardo Fuller, it will be difficult for Sidibe to make an immediate return to the starting XI. However, the 30-year-old is determined to fight for his place. “It’s going to be tough. I have to work really hard. “Since we have been promoted to the Premier League we’ve had new strikers and I’ve never really been first choice. I’ve had to fight for my place and I’m ready to do it again. “You can’t expect to come to the club and play every game. You have to fight for your place and work hard.” Stoke had to settle for a draw on Saturday away to Wigan, and despite taking the lead twice, Pulis’ men will take positives from a point which keeps the Potters in the top half. Sidibe had plenty of praise for the team’s showing this season, and the ex-Gillingham player is expecting another good season. “Hopefully if we keep going as we are at the moment we will do very well. We have good players this season. Every season we are going further and I think it will be another good season. “The team is playing very well at the moment. We’ve had some bad decisions against us and I think we should have more points than we have now.” Arguably, Stoke have not had the best of luck this season from referees. Pulis has pointed out many crucial decisions which have gone against the Potters this season, and has been the first manager to call for a referee relegation system. Though Sidibe believes Stoke have suffered from some poor refereeing decisions, he is more focused on the way Stoke are playing. He said, “Everybody has been talking about the system for referees but I don’t know – I think at the moment we can focus about Stoke. “We have had bad decisions, but other clubs have had bad decisions as well. “We have had more than other clubs, especially this season, but I think it’s better to forget all those kinds of things and just focus on the way we are playing.”


FOOTYMAD

Sponsored links