Duo doubtful for Stoke
Tony Pulis has revealed that striking duo Ricardo Fuller and James Beattie are major doubts for the weekend clash with Manchester United. Both players picked up knocks in the 4-3 win over Blackpool in the third round of the Carling Cup on Tuesday and face a race against time to be fit for the visit of the champions. Fuller was inspirational in helping the Potters turn around a two-goal deficit, even scoring to put them 3-2 up, but the 29-year-old suffered a groin injury and was off the pitch receiving treatment when Andy Griffin scored the winner in stoppage time. Meanwhile Beattie is thought to have aggravated the ankle injury which he picked up against Chelsea 10 days ago having played for over an hour against the Seasiders. "Fuller is touch and go and that is our big concern at the moment," Pulis said. "Beattie has had an ankle injury but we thought he would get through the game. However, the problem has flared up again." One player desperate to get back in the team is defender Andy Wilkinson having lost his place to Robert Huth. The 25-year-old went down with food poisoning and subsequently missed the 1-1 draw with Bolton last week with Huth slotting in at right-back. "I had food poisoning last week from Friday to the Sunday morning, so it wasn't pleasant. But I am not sure I would have played anyway," he told The Sentinel. "I think the manager might have gone with Robert at right-back. Maybe I would have been on the bench. I wanted to play, even though I was ill, but it was just one of those things. "It is up the manager what team he goes for and I fully respect his decisions. But if I am out of the team I am going to work even harder to get back in. "Robert is a top player and he's a German international, so I can't complain if I am out of the side to him. "But I think we are different sorts of players."
Related Stoke City News