Confusion surrounds Beattie

09 December 2009 10:39
Stoke City are refusing to comment on the ongoing controversy surrounding manager Tony Pulis and James Beattie although reports suggest the striker could be looking to leave the Britannia Stadium in January. It had been suggested that Beattie had apologised for his part in the bust-up that came in the wake of the Potters' 2-0 defeat at Arsenal on Saturday. However, it now seems that the former Southampton and Everton forward has not said sorry for his part in the incident which is believed to have ended with Pulis attempting to head-butt Beattie. The Potters have refused to comment on the matter but may be willing to let a player, who still has 18 months left on his existing agreement and is believed to have high wages, leave during next month's transfer window. It was initially alleged that the furore erupted when Pulis went back on a promise to give the players Monday off to recover from their Christmas party in London. Despite the controversy currently surrounding the club, goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen insists that team spirit remains good. He said: "I have been at quite a few clubs and one of the things that was very positive here was the team spirit and the camaraderie among the players and the coaches as well. "That is a big part of the success. It is very important and is very good at the moment."

Source: ESA