Stoke City are confident that striker Ricardo Fuller could return to action before the end of the season.
There had been fears that the Jamaica international's campaign was over after he injured his shoulder in Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Sunderland.
However, an X-ray has shown that the injury is not as serious as was initially feared.
Potters boss Tony Pulis said: "It doesn't look as bad as we first thought and that really is brilliant news for us."
Stoke had been forced to make three substitutions within the first 30 minutes at the Stadium of Light after seeing Fuller, Ryan Shawcross and Andy Wilkinson all retire through injury.
Pulis had said after the game: "The ball isn't running for us away from home at the moment and I'm struggling to put my finger on it.
"We lost three players to injury early on and we think Ricardo could be out for three months or so with his shoulder.
"Ryan's back seized up and Andy couldn't feel the inside of his foot so I was forced into all of those substitutions early on.
"We were hoping to bring Liam Lawrence and Henri (Camara) on in the second half and open the game up a little bit but with what happened I couldn't do that."