Stoke star Jones facing ankle scan

14 August 2010 10:03
Record signing Kenwyne Jones will have a scan on Sunday after limping out of his second Stoke debut, which ended in a 2-1 defeat at Wolves.

The Trinidad & Tobago striker, bought for £8million from Sunderland this week, left Molineux on crutches after suffering an ankle injury early in Stoke's 2-1 season-opening Premier League defeat at Wolves.

The 25-year-old had made an explosive start to his second spell with the club by hitting the bar after three minutes but he then fell awkwardly after a Jody Craddock challenge 10 minutes later.

Manager Tony Pulis felt his departure had a big effect on his team, who conceded twice in quick succession before half-time to David Jones and Steven Fletcher.

"He has got a scan and X-rays on Sunday," said Pulis. "It's just above his ankle.

"We had a really good start and then Kenwyne went off and it just took the wind out of our sails.

"We dropped off so deep, it was embarrassing.

"It shouldn't happen really, players shouldn't react that way.

"We made a game of it second half but that 20-minute period after he went off, we just dropped off.

"We allowed Wolves to play where they wanted to at the tempo they wanted to. We just stood off them."

Stoke replied with an Abdoulaye Faye header after 55 minutes but Wolves created the better chances throughout and claimed a deserved victory.

Manager Mick McCarthy has attempted to rejuvenate his side for their second season back in the top division by bringing in four new players.

Fletcher's debut goal gave an instant return on the reported £6.5million spent to recruit him from Burnley while Jelle van Damme also shone on his first appearance.

Their other high-profile new signing, Stephen Hunt, did not feature due to injury.

McCarthy said: "I'm very pleased with them both, I thought the two lads were great.

"We played well today, we had a good spell - Kenwyne Jones went off, maybe that threw them a bit out of kilter.

"We had our best spell on the back of that.

"It turned out not to be a convincing win but it was a convincing performance.

"I'm a bit disappointed we conceded one, we made a little mistake there."

McCarthy was pleased to come through with a victory at the end of a week disrupted by international call-ups.

He added: "We worked for six weeks and then we lost 10 of them, so it was a bit of a silly week.

"We got a few back Thursday and we were able to do a bit of work.

"Everyone that's had players away will be delighted to get a win.

"I was told it was 11 years since we had a win on the first day of the season.

"I wasn't going to accept the blame for the seven prior to me coming but I'll take the previous four, so I'm pleased to break that."

Fletcher left the action after 51 minutes with a foot injury but McCarthy said it was not serious.

"There is nothing sinister, it was just a kick, bone bruising," he said.

Jones' goal showed great invention - the former Derby player flicking up a free-kick and volleying in - and highlighted McCarthy's need for him to stay.

The 25-year-old is in the final year of his contract and discussions over a new deal have been going on for some time.

"I don't really get involved in that but I want him to sign," McCarthy said.

"If we can come to an agreement I'll be delighted but it's not going to change my view of him as a player."

Source: Team_Talk