Stoke City 4 Blackpool 3: match report

22 September 2009 10:20
Andy Griffin scored a dramatic winner in stoppage time to send Stoke into the fourth round of the Carling Cup.[LNB]It was an improbable victory given that the Premier League side found themselves two goals down inside 47 minutes.[LNB] Related ArticlesArsenal 2 West Bromwich Albion 0Leeds United 0 Liverpool 1Peterborough 2 Newcastle 0Win Stoke v Man Utd ticketsSport on televisionBut the introduction of Matthew Etherington and Ricardo Fuller made all the difference with both players find the target in a rousing comeback.[LNB]Stoke scored three times in the space of five minutes only for Ben Burgess to level matters.[LNB]It looked as though the tie was heading for extra time but Griffin's individual effort broke Blackpool hearts.[LNB]The Championship team shaded it in the first half and there was a scare for Stoke after 15 minutes when Charlie Adam spotted Burgess racing into the area.[LNB]The delivery was inch perfect and Burgess's header came back off the post as the assistant referee raised his flag.[LNB]Play switched down the other end and two minutes later Liam Lawrence saw his inswinging free-kick go narrowly over the bar and nestle on top of the net.[LNB]Stoke found themselves on the back foot after 26 minutes but Burgess dragged his effort wide of the post.[LNB]Adam was beginning to pull the strings in midfield and tried an audacious shot from the halfway line after 30 minutes that just cleared the bar.[LNB]Blackpool almost made the breakthrough five minutes later when Jay Emmanuel-Thomas got on the end of a Joe Martin cross, only to send his header over the top.[LNB]The visitors went ahead in the 40th minute with an emphatic finish from David Vaughan after he had been set up by Adam.[LNB]Blackpool increased their lead two minutes into the second half when Billy Clarke got on the end of a corner from Vaughan to send a looping header beyond Steve Simonsen.[LNB]Clarke had won the corner after his effort in front of the posts had been parried by the goalkeeper.[LNB]He wheeled away in delight after finding the target and Stoke now faced an uphill task to get back in the match.[LNB]Stoke were then awarded a penalty in the 56th minute after Tuncay was bundled over by Alex Baptiste and Ashley Asthma.[LNB]Lawrence stepped up only to see his effort turned superbly away by Gilks, who had replaced Paul Rachubka in the Blackpool goal.[LNB]Stoke increased the pressure and Tuncay saw his 25-yard shot blocked by Gilks before Beattie fired over the bar from inside the area.[LNB]Tuncay should have pulled a goal back only to clear the bar when in a great position.[LNB]But the home side got their reward in the 75th minute through Danny Higginbotham who got on the end of an Etherington corner to head home.[LNB]Three minutes later Etherington equalised with a crisp finish after Fuller had set up the opening.[LNB]The drama continued with Stoke then taking a 3-2 lead in the 80th minute when Fuller scored after linking up with Tuncay.[LNB]Blackpool though refused to lie down and Burgess pulled them level a minute later.[LNB]However, Stoke secured their passage into the fourth round deep in stoppage time when Griffin raced forward and his shot beat Gilks.[LNB]Match details[LNB]Stoke City: Simonsen; Griffin, Higginbotham, Cort, Wilkinson, Lawrence, Soares (Etherington 64), Pugh, Arismendi (Tonge 46), Beattie (Fuller 64), Sanli.Subs: Sorensen, Shotton, Dickinson, Kitson.Booked: Griffin.Goals: Higginbotham 75, Etherington 78, Fuller 80, Griffing 90.Blackpool: Gilks; Baptiste, Eastham (Eardley 83), Edwards, Vaughan, Martin, Emmanuel-Thomas (Bouazza 90), Bangura, Adam, Clarke, Burgess.Subs: Halstead, Crainey, Southern, Ormerod, Euell.Booked: Adam.Goals: Vaughan 40, Clarke 47, Burgess 81.Referee: J Probert.[LNB] 

Source: Telegraph