Hot Hornets sting woeful Wednesday

23 October 2009 09:56
Mackay's shrewd recruitment of Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley and Arsenal trainee Henri Lansbury paid off as the Hornets played some impressive football en route to a comfortable win at Vicarage Road.[LNB]Cleverley and Lansbury provided athleticism and intelligence off the lone striker Danny Graham and left Wednesday overrun in the middle of the park.[LNB]Defender Adrian Mariappa gave Watford the lead from close range before Lansbury swept in a fine second after a one-two with Cleverley.[LNB]Marcus Tudgay gave Brian Laws' side some hope with a response but Jon Harley and then Lansbury again scored excellent second-half goals to give the Hornets a thoroughly deserved three points.[LNB]Wednesday could have gone ahead through Luke Varney in a lively opening before Watford captain Mariappa gave them a 21st-minute lead.[LNB]Cleverley's corner found its way through to substitute John Eustace, and when he shanked a shot across the face of goal Mariappa was perfectly placed to steer in from six yards.[LNB]If there was an element of fortune about their opener, Mackay's side crafted a superb second five minutes later.[LNB]Lansbury picked up on a poor clearance and played the ball into Cleverley's feet on the edge of the area.[LNB]Cleverley played a reverse pass back into his stride and despite two defenders converging on him, Lansbury glided through the pair with a deft touch and buried a low shot under the body of goalkeeper Lee Grant.[LNB]Cleverley then saw a powerful header well held by Grant as Watford looked dominant, but the hosts managed to concede a poor goal in stoppage time.[LNB]Tommy Spurr hurled in a long throw from the left and when England Under-21 goalkeeper Scott Loach stayed on his line Tudgay rose to thump a header down into the bottom corner.[LNB]It was a lifeline for Laws, and the Wednesday boss introduced Tommy Miller at the break in a bid to win back control of midfield.[LNB]But Lansbury and Cleverley continued to find space in between the Owls lines and the two of them combined for Harley to make it 3-1 in the 54th minute.[LNB]Cleverley's corner was again not cleared and after Lansbury had beaten Miller to the loose ball he picked out Harley in space inside the penalty area.[LNB]The former Chelsea man took a touch and drove an unerring strike past Grant and into the top corner.[LNB]Harley then crossed for Lloyd Doyley to head narrowly wide before Lansbury grabbed his second in the 61st minute.[LNB]Again Cleverley was the architect, dancing around three desperate challenges as he surged into the penalty area before cutting the ball back for Lansbury to drill home from six yards.[LNB]That was game over and the sides played out the last half-hour with little fanfare as the Owls were left to reflect on a miserable evening.[LNB][LNB]

Source: Team_Talk