Edwards strike seals big Town win

20 February 2010 05:27
The 31-year-old, who played under Keane at Sunderland, gave the visitors a half-time advantage with his first goal for the club on his return to the starting line-up.[LNB]Keane had accused his squad of lacking character after their defeat to struggling Peterborough in midweek.[LNB]But they showed the fight to satisfy their manager and secure a win which lifts them ahead of their opponents and out of the bottom three.[LNB]Ipswich were aided by a poor Wednesday performance that will intensify the anxiety around Hillsborough.[LNB]Wednesday were without captain Darren Purse, who was sidelined with a hamstring injury, while Etienne Esajas came into the side for Tom Soares.[LNB]Keane responded to the defeat to Peterborough with customary ruthlessness.[LNB]He made four changes to the starting line-up, with Brian Murphy, David Wright, Shane O'Connor and Edwards all coming in. And it took Edwards just 14 minutes to justify his recall.[LNB]The midfielder cut in from the right as defenders backed off, before he rifled a powerful shot across Lee Grant and into the goalkeeper's right-hand corner.[LNB]To that point it had been a rather gloomy opening, with Luke Varney's volley, which stung the hands of Brian Murphy on his Ipswich debut, the only real chance.[LNB]However the goal ignited the contest.[LNB]Marcus Tudgay, who had been wasteful, went close to levelling moments later.[LNB]The forward, playing just off Varney, stole a yard in the penalty box and rattled a right-footed shot against the bar.[LNB]Tudgay was just as central to another good chance for the hosts soon after.[LNB]His neat flick back from Esajas' cross-field ball set up the on-rushing Michael Gray, but goalkeeper Murphy was fast off the mark to smother the midfielder's effort.[LNB]Tudgay's eventful few minutes continued as he went down under pressure in the penalty area but the referee was quick to reject his appeals.[LNB]With Wednesday edging possession, Ipswich were increasingly confined to counter-attack football, and Daryl Murphy went close with a shot from a tight angle.[LNB]But the half ended as poorly it had started, with Esajas slicing a free-kick high into the visiting stand for the hosts.[LNB]Ipswich continued to be a threat on the break after half-time with Jack Colback sending Grant sprawling to his right to make a good save.[LNB]The visitors went close again seconds later with Damien Delaney heading against the bar from Edwards' cross.[LNB]The midfielder was then gifted a great chance as he seized on Esajas' wayward pass and scampered into the penalty area.[LNB]But, unlike in the first half, he could not find the bottom right corner.[LNB]Esajas was enduring a poor day and was the subject of much of the home fans' scorn.[LNB]Wednesday's uncertainty at the back encouraged the visitors, who increasingly pushed the hosts back.[LNB]Wednesday, though, could have levelled the game when the ball fell to substitute Leon Clarke at the far post.[LNB]But Brian Murphy was again smart to see danger and snuff it out.[LNB]The visitors, though, were creating the better chances and thought they had scored a second late on with Jon Walters heading Grant Leadbitter's corner into the net, but the referee ruled it out for a push on the defender.[LNB]It did nothing to alter the result, though, as Ipswich closed out the game with relative ease.[LNB][LNB]

Source: Team_Talk