Fabulous Foxes fire five past Iron

13 February 2010 05:48
Failure to score in four of their last five matches has seen Leicester's automatic promotion challenge fade - but despite leading scorer Matty Fryatt being ruled out for around two months, the Foxes answered their doubters in fashion against Scunthorpe by recording their biggest victory of the season.[LNB]Gallagher, who had not scored in his last 16 outings, netted twice in between Michael Morrison's opening goal and a strike by Martyn Waghorn as the Foxes raced into a 4-0 half-time lead.[LNB]The visitors pulled a goal back through Paul Hayes soon after the break but the afternoon belonged to Gallagher and he completed his treble midway through the second half before leaving the field to a standing ovation seven minutes from time.[LNB]It could have been a different story had Chris Weale not saved from Hayes when the Scunthorpe striker was through on goal early on.[LNB]Leicester made them pay when Morrison headed Waghorn's free-kick into the top corner in the sixth minute.[LNB]Scunthorpe came close to an immediate equaliser but Grant McCann's shot drifted just wide.[LNB]Good link up play between Waghorn and Lloyd Dyer created the chance for Gallagher to double Leicester's lead in the 16th minute. After Dyer rolled the ball across the 18-yard line, Gallacher had time and space to pick his spot and his shot deflected into the top corner.[LNB]Once again Scunthorpe might have got themselves back into the game straight away but Weale tipped Rob Jones' header over the crossbar.[LNB]Gallagher grabbed his second goal following a 25th-minute foul by Michael O'Connor on Dyer. From the resulting free-kick, the former Blackburn forward curled a delightful right-foot shot round the wall and the ball nestled in the bottom corner.[LNB]Nine minutes later Gallagher turned provider as Waghorn got the goal his first-half performance deserved.[LNB]Gallagher's cross was only half-cleared and Waghorn controlled the ball on his chest before firing a half-volley past Joe Murphy, who got a hand on the shot but could only help it into the net.[LNB]Scunthorpe scored their consolation goal after 54 minutes. Michael Raynes reached the byline on the right-hand side and his cross was turned home from 12 yards out by Hayes via a deflection.[LNB]Gallagher completed the scoring, and his hat-trick, in the 73rd minute when he he headed home Richie Wellens' cross.[LNB]Ten minutes later, Gallagher was replaced by Dany N'Guessan and the majority of the Walkers Stadium rose to their feet in recognition of a sterling performance from the Scot.[LNB][LNB]

Source: Team_Talk