- Scotland News
- News Archive
- League Table
- World Cup Euro Qual Gp 9 News
Scotland's Levein demands ban for 'diver' Rezek
Published : 05 Sep 2011 15:31:09Rss feed
Scotland manager Craig Levein has urged UEFA to ban Czech Republic winger Jan Rezek amid claims he dived to win his side a late penalty in Saturday's 2-2 draw in a Euro 2012 qualifier here.
Rezek went down following a challenge from Danny Wilson to earn the visitors a last-minute penalty at Hampden that Michal Kadlec thumped into the roof of the net.
However, replays showed Wilson did not appear to have touched his opponent.
The Liverpool defender later claimed Rezek had admitted there had been no contact, although the Czech player himself said publicly there had been a touch.
Levein's anger was only exacerbated when Dutch referee Kevin Blom booked Christophe Berra for simulation when he fell under pressure from Roman Hubnik in the other penalty area in stoppage time.
The dramatic ending allowed the Czechs to come away with a point that leaves them in pole position to seal a play-off spot behind Spain in Group I.
Nothing can be done about the result, but Levein believes UEFA should look into the Rezek penalty incident, just as they did following another controversial Hampden penalty award four years ago.
Lithuania midfielder Saulius Mikoliunas -- then of Scottish Premier League side Hearts -- was handed a two-match suspension for diving to win his side a spot-kick during a 3-1 Scotland win in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.
Levein is now preparing his side for a rematch with Mikoliunas and Lithuania on Tuesday, but he is still hurting at the way his side were denied victory against the Czechs.
"Let's look at it and say nothing is going to happen that will help us get any of the points back," he said.
"But there are situations I feel that we shouldn't let pass.
"We have a player from the Czech Republic who has dived and admitted it. His director of football has come on the television and said it wasn't a penalty.
"I remember a similar incident four or five years ago when Mikoliunas received a two-game ban.
"Well, a precedent has been set and I don't believe the Czech Republic deserve to have Rezek available for the next two games.
"I think it's worth making sure that people are aware of what's happened.
"There is a respect campaign and fair play is quite high up on FIFA's thoughts. There is enough evidence to suggest that there was a breach of those rules."
Related Scotland News