Ramsden Cup Final: Falkirk 1 Hamilton 0

01 April 2012 05:59
Falkirk lift the silverware in Livingston

Falkirk and Hamilton Accies met today to contest the Ramdens Cup final at the Braidwood Motor Company Stadium in Livingston and the crowd turned up in summer wear to enjoy their day in the sun. Lots of media interest in the late kick-off between the two First Division sides with a prize at the end of the game. It did not take long for the Falkirk fans to have something to celebrate as they scored in 82 seconds. A corner from the left from Willie Gibson found Darren Dodds towering above all the Hamilton defenders to power the ball home to open the scoring. The threats in the first half came mostly from the team in the lead. Although it must be noted that Hamilton's Daniel Redmond did somehow contrive to miss an open goal with keeper Michael McGovern breathing a sigh of relief as the striker fell on his back.

The Hamilton players must have got a rocket at half time from Billy Reid as they were a different side in the first 15 minutes of the second half. However they failed take advantage and nearly paid the penalty when Mark Miller sent in a screamer that nearly made the score 2-0 to Falkirk but it tipped the crossbar and out for a bye-kick. The game ebbed and flowed as the clock ticked towards the 90 minutes with Falkirk always looking to be more in control and threatening to move up a gear is really required. El Alagui was keen to get the fans backing his side as the minutes ticked away. The Hamilton side resorted to the long ball up the park in the last ten minutes but this change of tactic did not bring any change in their fortunes. Getting back into the game after the goal in 82 seconds did seem a challenge and half for Accies no matter how much manager Reid screamed his instructions. A free-kick in the last minute five metres out of the box from Hamilton brought out a brilliant save from McGovern diving to his right to prevent Andy Ryan throwing a lifeline to Hamilton and take the game into extra time. And that was their chance gone as the two minutes of stoppage time brought no more goals. Steven Pressley's Bairns lift the Ramsden Challenge Cup.Falkirk: McGovern, Duffie, Scobbie, Dods, Wallace, Fulton, Sibbald, Millar, El Alagui, Gibson, WeatherstonSubs: Bennet, Kingsley, Alston, White, Bowman (GK)Hamilton Accies: Hutton, McAllister, Kidlay, Kirkpatrick, Mensing, McLaughlin, Routledge, Redmond, McShane, Neil, StewartSubs: Hendrie, Gillespie, Spence, Ryan, Currie (GK)