Motherwell 0 Celtic 3

21 May 2011 05:59
The prize went to Celtic as the Motherwell side just did not have the required striking options Despite the game not being the most exciting in the world, Neil Lennon has managed to get some silverware for his pains this season. 3-0 was the result but the difference was no that large to my mind. Before the kick-off there a minute's applause from fans of both side's as tribute to the late Phil O'Donnell, who played for both clubs, and former SFA secretary Ernie Walker, who passed away recently. The first half can largely be ignored apart from three or four incidents. Gary Hooper almost opened the scoring in the second minute when he sneaked behind the advancing Motherwell defence as they thought the ball was cleared from an early corner. However, dropped over the heads for Hopper to delicately get his toe to it the ball was and beat Darren Randolph with a lob which just scrapped the bar and over. The rest of the first 25 minutes had Celtic just ahead on points if they were awarded for attacking play. Two bookings were the feature of this period with calls for a red for Daniel Majstorovic's tackle. That dull period was forgotten by the Celtic fans in the 49,618 crowd when Ki Sung Yeung decided to test his long range shooting ability in the 30th minute. His strike was as unexpected as it was straight into Randolph's net. 1-0 to the 'Tic but they were not looking to be the dominant side and roll over the Steelmen. Six minutes after the goal, Gavin Gunning showed Motherwell were not just there for the day out. Out on the left he sent in a screamer of a shot which Fraser Foster was left looking foolish as his outstretched hand wasted it's time hoping to stop it. Unfortunately, for Stuart McCall's men, the bar intervened and the ball bounced down and out to safety. Motherwell did claim for a penalty in the 40th minute when Glenn Loovens appeared to nudge John Sutton to the ground inside the box as he went for a cross from Humphrey. However, the claims were in vain as Calum Murray waved them away. The second half was a different prospect with play stretched from the start. Motherwell were in the ascendancy and in the 56th minute Loovens did well to take a cross from Chris Humphrey away from the head of Sutton. Celtic broke quickly seconds later through Georgios Samaras, only for the Greece striker to be crowded out. Samaras was once again an enigma for the Hoops. He flattered to deceive and more often that not took the wrong option. Kris Commons should have doubled Celtic's lead in the 66th minute when captain Scott Brown sent him clear on goal. The Scotland midfielder moved in on Randolph, who stood up well, Commons poked the ball past from 10 yards only to see backtracking Well defender Shaun Hutchinson clear the ball off the line. Anthony Stokes replaced Samaras two minutes later and was almost immediately crunched by Stephen Craigan to earn the Motherwell captain a booking. The destination of the cup was confirmed 15 minutes from time when Commons set up Wilson and his low drive took a cruel deflection off Craigan to send Randolph the wrong way before the ball limped over the line. In the 88th minute, after Craigan had fouled Hooper at the edge of the box, Mulgrew's left foot powered the free-kick high past the flailing Randolph to put a glossy finish on the win and leave the Celtic fans celebrating after chanting for their manager. Motherwell: Randolph, Hateley, Craigan, Hutchinson, Hammell, Gunning, Humphrey, Lasley, Jennings, Murphy, SuttonSubs: Hollis, Jeffers, Jones, Saunders, Forbes Celtic: Forster, Wilson, Loovens, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Brown, Ki, Mulgrew, Commons, Samaras, Hooper. Subs: Zaluska, Stokes, Cha, McCourt, Forrest. Referee: Calum Murray