Declaration Of Arbroath

09 April 2012 05:52
Our Kingdom correspondent saw Arbroath keep the 2nd Division title race wide open on Saturday and could have put his Lottery ticket money on Cowdenbeath making it difficult for themselves in the run-in.

Blue Brazilian disappointment that a crowd beyond the 1,000 mark wasn't breached for this game at the Fife Maracana was only matched by the disappointing display by the home side as the Red Lichties came down from Angus to achieve a result that means the title race in Div 2 could go all the way until the final day of the season. Rumours that a crowd of as much as 2,000 would take this one in proved ill conceived but maybe even the lapsed Cowdenites locally knew that clinching a title with four games to go was the easy way to do things, and those who have watched The Blue Brazil down the decades know they just don't do it the easy way. In reality, the lure of a Forth Bridge Derby of sorts 6 miles away (Dunfermline v Hearts) and a day of celebration / defiance, depending on which side of the Old Firm divide you are on, was as much to blame for the attendance at Central Park as past history. It is still a sad fact that Old Firm matters more than Central Fife for many in the district. While around 400 locals and 200 from Angus roared their heads off for their cause at Cowdenbeath at least the same number as those cheering the Blue Brazil on Saturday at Central Park were populating Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly High Street well before 10am to take their buses to Ibrox and Killie probably unaware of the importance of the game on their doorstep, in fact for these souls it would be wrong to match the word 'importance' to any football match not involving the Glasgow giants. Local neutrals for the most part ended up choosing the Pars relegation battle over Cowden but those who attended Central Park saw both sides full of fight with that 2nd Division title and automatic promotion still very much up for grabs. Top Scorer Steven Doris [on 19 before start of play] proved to be the match winner for Arbroath with 2 goals. The Red Lichties are now just four points behind their promotion rivals, having fallen behind five minutes into the game to Marc McKenzie's long-range effort.  Ken Adamson was sent-off for a second yellow card on 23 minutes and that proved to be the turning point in this match. Doris' first goal of the afternoon brought Paul Sheerin's side level after 25 minutes before Kieran McAnespie unleashed a stunning 30-yard effort into the top corner to put the visitors ahead four minutes later. McKenzie brought Cowdenbeath back into the game from the penalty spot two minutes from the re-start, after Malcolm upended Robertson in the area. However 15 minutes from time, Doris found the back of the net following substitute Collin Samuel's knock-down, as the away side ended a run of three games without a win to put pressure on their opponents who have now lost back-to-back games for the first time this season. Next for Cowdenbeath are Stirling away on Saturday while Arbroath are at home to Forfar. The title is still Cowden's to lose but more twists and turns seem certain before end of play in the regular season on Saturday 5th May. Either of these sides could still find themselves toasting silverware or getting ready for the play-offs on that day.


World Cup Group G

England 2 0 0 6 6
Belgium 2 0 0 6 6
Tunisa 0 0 2 -4 0
Panama 0 0 2 -8 0
Last updated : 10:18