City Maintain Top Form

28 July 2013 09:55
Glasgow City kept up their five point lead at the top of the SWPL as a goal in each half gave them a 2-0 victory over Rangers.

City took the lead on five minutes as Lauren McMurchie played a ball up the channel for debutant Denise O’Sullivan, which the Rangers defence passed back to goal keeper Khym Ramsay under pressure. The Rangers keeper failed to clear her lines with conviction and the ball broke to O’Sullivan at the edge of the box allowing the Republic of Ireland international to coolly shot past Ramsay to give her side the lead. Ramsay more than made up for her previous error with a great double save on 10 minutes, firstly denying a curling left foot shot from Lisa Robertson from going into the bottom corner and then reacting brilliantly to save a shot from Emily Thomson at point blank range. The home side’s best effort of the opening period came when Hayley Cunningham went close with a shot from distance which flew just over the bar on 16 minutes. The first half was a real battle with no more obvious clear cut chances for either side and the teams went it at half time with City one goal ahead.The second 45 minutes was to be a much different affair and City re-started the game brightly with a succession of corners and pressure on the Rangers defence. Glasgow City’s Nicky Docherty had a left foot shot well saved by Ramsay before Sarah Crilly had her best chance of the match to score, but she drilled her left foot shot wide from just inside the box after a good City move. Fifteen minutes into the second half and the City supporters were off their seats as a great move saw O’Sullivan take the ball around Ramsay, but her cross was brilliantly headed clear by the Rangers defence from right underneath the crossbar. City’s succession of attacks and corners finally paid off as they doubled their lead on 57 minutes as half time substitute Eilish McSorley rose highest to head home a City corner. One of the biggest cheers of the day came on 74 minutes when City captain Rachel Corsie came on to replace debutant Julie Nelson to mark her competitive comeback after being out for 9 months with an ACL injury to give her side a massive boost ahead of their Champions League campaign in just over a week’s time.A big decision by the referee a few moments later denied the away side a penalty as Leanne Crichton looked to be clearly held back in the box as she raced through with only Ramsay to beat. The City midfielder managed to retain possession and City worked the ball out to Emily Thomson who had a great effort from the edge of the box tipped over the bar by Ramsay as she pulled off a superb save. Rangers were reduced to 10 players with 8 minutes to go of normal time as Leslie Condie was shown a straight red after having words with the referee. With minutes remaining O’Sullivan hit the bar as City came close to making it 3-0, but in the end it finished Rangers 0-2 Glasgow City.The win maintained City’s 100% record in all competitions, leaving head oach Eddie Wolecki Black, happy with his team’s performance. He said: "It is a great start to the second half of the season. Three points against a strong Rangers team also gives us a ten point advantage over them whilst maintaining our five point lead against second placed Hibs. In the first half I thought the game was pretty even and we capitalised on the one very good chance we had, which was pleasing. Rangers were strong opponents in the first half and we made a few changes at the break and I think we totally dominated the game from there.  In the end I felt we could have scored some more, but I am happy with three points and a clean sheet and we can now build towards next week’s match against Hibs."

Source: ScottishFitba


World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 14:57