Schalke 04 are hoping veteran striker Raul will soon put pen to paper and extend his stay in Gelsenkirchen beyond the summer.
The 34-year-old and his advisors met with Royal Blues' bosses on Wednesday evening in Duesseldorf to discuss an extension to his deal which expires in June.
"We talked about our different ideas (for the contract extension)," said Schalke manager Horst Heldt.
"In February, there will be a second meeting."
Raul, who has scored 10 goals in 18 league games this season, missed training with a calf strain on Wednesday but is expected to be fit to face Cologne on Saturday.
His performances last year helped Schalke reach the semi-finals of the Champions League and chairman Clemens Toennies said he is confident Raul will stay.
"Raul wants to stay, we want him to stay, you can't get better preconditions than that," he told west Germany paper WAZ.
"Why shouldn't it work out?"
According to reports, Raul is believed to have been offered a one-year contract with a significantly reduced salary, plus income from a benefit game, but the ex-Real Madrid star is believed to want a two-year deal.
The Spaniard has already indicated he wants to stay and has repeatedly said he is happy at Schalke with his large family settled in Duesseldorf.
"My family and I feel very comfortable here. I want to continue playing football and I am confident that we will come to an agreement," said the striker who has won 102 caps for Spain.