Dale comeback denies Hatters

07 November 2009 05:09
Richard Money was denied a perfect start to his managerial reign at Luton Town as the Hatters drew 3-3 against Rochdale at Kenilworth Road in the first round of the FA Cup. Steve Basham opened the scoring with just four minutes played, before Adam Newton added a second and Basham made it 3-0 to the home side within the first half-hour. Craig Dawson netted the first reply for League Two Dale, before a Joe Thompson goal set up a frantic finale and the same player then struck at the death to break Town's hearts. Staines Town enjoyed a fantastic afternoon at the New Meadow, sealing a 1-0 victory over Shrewsbury Town thanks to an Ali Chaaban goal midway through the first half. Conference South side Bath City sprang a shock at Blundell Park, beating Grimsby Town 2-0 thanks to goals from Chris Holland and Darren Edwards. York City mounted a stirring late fightback at home to Crewe Alexandra, winning 3-2 thanks to late goals from Richard Pacquette and leading scorer Richard Brodie. Oxford United saw off League One Yeovil Town 1-0 at the Kassam Stadium thanks to a Jack Midson goal, while a Moses Ashikodi strike gave Kettering Town a 1-0 triumph at Hartlepool United. Paulton Rovers' hopes of causing a major upset were dashed as League One Norwich City powered to a 7-0 victory at the Athletic Ground. Colchester United avoided a shock as they won 4-0 at Bromley, while Walsall edged home 1-0 at Stourbridge thanks to a Steve Jones goal. Gateshead took the lead just before the hour-mark at home to Brentford, but goals from Carl Cort and Kevin O'Connor gave the Bees a 2-1 lead at Holker Street. However, Peter Winn struck in the final minute to earn the home side a 2-2 draw and a replay. An eight-goal thriller at Adams Park ended 4-4 between Wycombe Wanderers and Brighton & Hove Albion. On Friday evening there were wins for Southampton and Notts County, while Huddersfield Town thrashed Dagenham & Redbridge 6-1 at the Galpharm Stadium.

Source: ESA

Trending on the forum