skip to content

Trapattoni taken to hospital

More

By: Na 10 Aug 2010 12:31:10

Trapattoni taken to hospital

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is in danger of missing Wednesday night's friendly with Argentina after suffering with food poisoning.

Trapattoni is currently under observation and undergoing tests at Dublin's Mater Hospital after being taken there at 3am on Tuesday following further bouts of vomiting. The Football Association of Ireland confirmed Trapattoni, who is now in a stable condition, had been feeling unwell upon his arrival in Ireland on Sunday night.

FAI team doctor Alan Byrne said: "Giovanni had been feeling unwell, suffering with nausea and vomiting. But late last night he started vomiting more. He called me at 1.45am and it was clear things had changed. I wanted more comfort in terms of where we were, so we decided to take him to the Mater where we have launched an investigation."

Byrne added: "He has had blood and urine tests, scans, x-rays and an ECG. Some tests are already known and they are already very good.

"But some are still pending and we may not know the results of those until tomorrow. We need to see how things go over the next 12 to 24 hours."

It is understood the illness has been caused by shellfish the 71- year-old ate prior to leaving Italy.

"It's not a serious problem, but with shellfish-type food poisoning it can have a greater impact, so everything is just a precaution," Byrne continued.

"At the moment he is stable. He has spoken with his wife on a couple of occasions and we are making arrangements for her to come over if she requires."

On Tuesday assistant Marco Tardelli was due to take training, although he is hopeful Trapattoni will be capable of taking charge.

Tardelli said: "I think everything is okay and he will be in the dugout. He is very strong."


PA

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

Related Republic of Ireland News

advertisement

advertisment