Real Madrid unload unwanted trio

31 August 2011 08:30

Real Madrid parted company Wednesday with three players -- winger Pedro Leon and midfielders Fernando Gago and Royston Drenthe -- who coach Jose Mourinho has made clear have no place in his squad.

The club loaned Leon back to his former club Getafe with the option to buy at the end of the season, the two clubs said in a statement.

The 24-year-old winger, who scored one goal in six appearances for Real Madrid last season, played for Getafe in the 2009-10 season before joining Real for a reported fee of 10 million euros ($14.5 million) in July last year.

Real will face Getafe on Saturday in their first league match at home of the season.

Real's Argentine midfielder Fernando Gago meanwhile told reporters in Italy that he had reached a deal with AS Roma to play with the Italian side this season.

"I am happy to be able to play in Italian football," he said in comments broadcast by Spanish media.

Real have agreed to loan the 25-year-old to Roma for one season with an option to buy the player, according to Spanish and Italian media reports.

Gago joined Real from Boca Juniors in 2007 but he has struggled to secure a spot in the first team since Mourinho's arrival.

Dutch midfielder Royston Drenthe is poised to sign with English Premiership club Everton on Wednesday, Spanish sports daily Marca reported in its online edition.

The 24-year-old joined Real in 2007 from Feyenoord but spend last season on loan at Spanish minnows Hercules.

Mourinho warned Saturday he saw no place in his squad for the three players, saying "they wont be options for me because they dont enter into my plans."

Source: AFP