Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Fabio Coentrao will be staying with the Spanish giants amid speculation of a possible move ahead of Monday's transfer deadline, but there was no update from the Italian on the club's summer-long pursuit of Gareth Bale.
Barclays Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham have all been linked with Portugal left-back Coentrao, who has not been involved in any of Madrid's opening three Primera Division matches and was said to be keen to leave the Bernabeu.
However, Ancelotti has said the 25-year-old, who cost Madrid a reported 30million euros (Â£25.6m) when he joined from Benfica in 2011, has told the club he wants to continue.
"Fabio is staying. I understood that he wanted to go, but really it was not the same desire for everyone. Now he's decided to stay and everybody, the club, players and coaching staff, are happy with this decision," the Italian told reporters following Madrid's 3-1 home win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.
Regarding other possible comings and goings at Madrid before the transfer deadline, Ancelotti was non-committal.
Madrid are widely expected to confirm the signing of Spurs star Bale in the next 24 hours but there is still nothing official from either club, while the future of Madrid playmaker Kaka is also the subject of widespread speculation after the Brazil international announced last week he wanted to leave.
Ancelotti said: "I don't really know what is going to happen tomorrow. I cannot say today. Anything could happen, both with regards to players coming in and players going out."
Madrid made it three Primera Division wins from three with their home triumph over Athletic.
Summer signing Isco continued his good early-season form with a brace while Cristiano Ronaldo netted Madrid's other goal to open his account for the season.
However, while those two players grabbed the goals it was Luka Modric who took the plaudits with a performance that Ancelotti described as "fantastic".