Rangers players to learn their fate
Rangers' administrators are expected to deliver their verdict on cost-cutting measures today after another day of stalemate.
Talks broke up last night after players failed to reach agreement over wage cuts designed to save £1million a month. Some players were reportedly asked to take pay cuts of 75% but the squad issued a counter-proposal, which Duff and Phelps considered overnight, aimed at preventing redundancies.
Joint administrator Paul Clark said last night: "Everyone involved in the administration process has been attempting to reach a consensual solution in regard to job losses within the playing squad. The prime reason for this has been to achieve essential cost savings while preserving the fabric of the first team."
He added: "This has not been an easy balance to strike and we would like to thank the manager Ally McCoist, his players and the PFA Scotland for attempting to find a solution that would be workable for all. Every realistic option is being explored.
"Regrettably, it has not been possible thus far to reach a consensus where players could accept the necessary level of wage cuts to prevent job losses within the squad.
"We do not for a moment criticise the players for this as the wage reductions that would be required are very substantial and would have a significant impact on each individual.
"For clarity, we cannot enforce wage cuts. The players have to agree to this course of action.
"The players have asked us to consider a final proposal overnight for discussion in the morning and we have agreed to this request.''
Duff and Phelps had previously set Monday as a deadline for a decision and said job losses were likely after refusing a request to allow wage deferrals.
However, former director Paul Murray, who has held talks with administrators over forming a takeover consortium, urged Duff and Phelps to consider deferrals as player redundancies would leave new owners with an expensive rebuilding job.
Related Rangers News