Rangers march on at summit

18 September 2010 07:15
QPR continue to march on at the top of the Championship table following a 2-0 victory over Leicester City. Neil Warnock's unbeaten side are now five points clear of their nearest rivals after Jamie Mackie's seventh goal of the season opened the scoring after just 12 minutes. Mackie ensured the Londoners left the Walkers Stadium with all three points following an 86th-minute second of the afternoon. Adam Matthews' own goal allowed Ipswich Town to leapfrog Cardiff City into second place in the table as Roy Keane's side won 2-0 against the in-form Welsh side at Portman Road. Jason Scotland doubled the advantage with a 74th-minute second for the Tractor Boys. Millwall were routed 6-1 at home by Watford in the most surprising Championship scoreline of the day. The Hornets were 4-0 up as earlier as the 54th minute following goals by John Eustace, Jordon Mutch, Marvin Sordell and Adrian Mariappa. Middlesbrough's mini-resurgence continues as Gordon Strachan's side ran out 3-1 winners at home to Reading. Barry Robson and Leroy Lita were on the mark in the first half at the Riverside Stadium. Jimmy Kebe pulled a goal back for the Royals but a rare effort by David Wheater ensured the Teessiders picked up their third win of the fledgling season. Preston North End's miserable start to the season shows no sign of improving after Darren Ferguson's strugglers lost 1-0 at home to Norwich City following Grant Holt's 62nd-minute winner. Winless Portsmouth remain rock bottom of the table after a 1-0 defeat to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Ched Evans' 77th-minute strike increased the pressure on already under-fire Pompey boss Steve Cotterill. Swansea City were 2-0 winners over managerless Scunthorpe United at the Liberty Stadium with Scott Sinclair and Stephen Dobbie scoring in the final seven minutes. Bristol City are still searching for a first home win of the season after they went down 2-1 to Coventry City at Ashton Gate. Barnsley and Derby County played out a 1-1 draw, while the match between Crystal Palace and Burnley ended goalless. In the day's late kick-off, Hull City and Nottingham Forest shared the spoils following a goalless stalemate at the KC Stadium.

Source: ESA