- Queens Park Rangers News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Anton: Move on from Rio omission
Published : 07 Jun 2012 11:17:04
QPR defender Anton Ferdinand has refused to join the condemnation of brother Rio's omission from England's Euro 2012 squad.
But the younger Ferdinand brother told Daybreak: "Things happen in football. It's a game of ups and downs. I am sure he'd like to be there but sadly it didn't happen this time."
The general view is that the potential for conflict between the pair was the major factor behind Hodgson's decision, rather than "football reasons" as he previously suggested.
That all dates back to last October, when a confrontation between Anton Ferdinand and Terry at Loftus Road resulted in the Chelsea skipper being charged with racially abusing his opponent, something he strenuously denies.
Rio Ferdinand's adviser Jamie Moralee branded the decision to call in Martin Kelly as Gary Cahill's replacement on Sunday "disrespectful" and the player is equally unhappy. He has, however, vowed to support England in the tournament.
Anton Ferdinand added: "We move on and, like he said, he's going to follow them from somewhere else and, as a family and as a community, we're going to do that."
The whole Ferdinand issue has clouded England's arrival in Krakow, where they held their first training session behind closed doors on Thursday morning.
"We're here to talk about the tournament, about the 23 players who are here and I'm not prepared to discuss - at all - any players who are not here," said FA chairman David Bernstein last night.
"It might be an issue - but it's an issue I'm happy to talk about when the tournament is over maybe. We are here to talk about the tournament and about the future and that's it."