Briatore set to discover QPR fate

07 October 2009 02:23
Flavio Briatore's future as a QPR co-owner could be decided at a Football League board meeting on Thursday.Briatore was banned from FIA-sanctioned events over fixing an F1 race and the Football League has asked motorsport's governing body for details of the case. Football League rules state individuals cannot be a director or hold a majority interest in a club if they are banned from another sport's governing body. The identities of Notts County's owners are also to be discussed. "We have a board meeting and have at least a couple of fit-and-proper person issues which we will address," said Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney. "They are on the agenda. I would like to come out of the board meeting with settled policies in general terms which we can apply to future cases that need to be addressed. "I understand what is being said and we will reflect on that as a board." Italian Briatore, 59, left his post as Renault team principal, along with executive director of engineering Pat Symonds, after the team decided not to contest FIA charges of fixing the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. The charges were brought after Nelson Piquet Jr revealed he had been asked to crash in order to help team-mate Fernando Alonso. At a recent World Motor Sport Council hearing, Briatore was banned with the FIA adding that it would not grant a licence to any team he was involved with or renew an F1 Superlicence granted to any driver associated with him. Briatore is co-owner of QPR along with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal. He is also chairman of the holding company that owns the club and a director on the board of the Championship side.

Source: BBC_Sport