Bartons QPR future still uncertain

01 September 2013 12:16

Controversial QPR midfielder Joey Barton's future at the Championship club remains in doubt, according to assistant manager Kevin Bond.

Barton, who recently rejected interest from newly-promoted Premier League side Crystal Palace, earned praise from Bond for his performance in QPR's 1-0 victory at previously unbeaten Leeds on Saturday.

The former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder, who spent last season on loan at French team Marseille after falling out with previous boss Mark Hughes, had a goal disallowed for offside and then delivered the free-kick for Clint Hill's 75th minute winner.

But Bond, assistant to boss Harry Redknapp, admitted he could still leave before the transfer window closes on Monday evening.

"I really don't know (what will happen). Nothing would surprise me," Bond said.

"But Joey has done very well for us. He missed both pre-season trips but forced his way into the side, has played all the matches and has been very focused."

Blackpool manager Paul Ince conceded his side rode their luck after his son Tom climbed off the substitutes' bench to seal a 1-0 win over Watford and send the Seasiders back to the top of the Championship.

Watford dominated the first half with Matt Gilks saving Troy Deeney's penalty.

But Blackpool were much improved after the interval and Ince junior sealed the win in the 81st minute with a fine solo strike.

"If it had been a boxing match it would have been all over at half-time," the Blackpool boss said.

"Watford were outstanding in the first half and if they had scored the penalty it would have been a different game.

"We rode our luck and sometimes you earn your luck."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche saluted his strike force after they helped his third placed side to a convincing 3-0 win at Derby.

Danny Ings and Sam Vokes got the first two goals and former Derby defender Jason Shackell smashed in a third in the 73rd minute, although the home side could have got back in it when Johnny Russell had a 63rd-minute penalty saved by Tom Heaton.

"It was a very good performance," Dyche said. "Danny (Ings) is really alive at the moment and he's enjoying it.

"He's getting the plaudits and rightly so but I will put Sam Vokes into the mix, I thought he was absolutely tremendous and for the last 25 minutes was unplayable."

Shaun Maloney and Jordi Gomez gave Wigan Athletic their first win since the opening day of the campaign as fourth-placed Nottingham Forest were beaten 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

"This group is in its infancy, but I was delighted with everything we offered in terms of quality and desire," Wigan manager Owen Coyle said.

"There are going to be games like this all season in the Championship, and it was pleasing to come through it."

Elsewhere, Blackburn Rovers thrashed Lancashire rivals Bolton Wanderers 4-1 and Barnsley beat Huddersfield Town 2-1.

Reading won 1-0 at Yeovil Town, Charlton defeated Leicester 2-1 and Bournemouth beat Doncaster Rovers 1-0 at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Birmingham City drew 1-1 with Ipswich Town, Middlesbrough were held to a 1-1 draw by Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton and Hove Albion drew 1-1 with 10-man Millwall.

Source: AFP