Asian football chief Mohamed Bin Hammam will announce on Friday whether he will challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.
The 61-year-old Qatari has been hinting for the last two months that he may stand and will hold a news conference at the headquarters of the Asian Football Confederation in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.
Bin Hammam said on his Twitter account: "I will hold a press conference on Friday, March 18, at AFC House. I will clarify my position regarding the FIFA presidency elections, which take place in June 2011."
Bin Hammam was once a close ally of Blatter and one of the driving forces behind his campaign to be elected in 1998.
The pair fell out two years ago and Bin Hammam's stunning success in securing the 2022 World Cup for Qatar has stimulated him to consider a challenge.
The FIFA presidential election is due to take place in Zurich on June 1.
Blatter was bullish last week when asked about a possible challenge.
He said: "If you want to see new faces then okay, every four years we have an election. I have received support from different national associations to stand again.
"If I win okay, if lose I say thank you then go away. You will have your new face and then we will see what will happen.
"But I think it's not new faces we shall have in FIFA."