Powerful Preston Progress

29 August 2012 01:20
North End defeated the second Championship side in consecutive rounds at Deepdale to go through to the League Cup 3rd Round.

Palace have had a miserable start to the season and that was made even worst when they were heavily defeated by Preston who are a league lower than the Championship side.

Westley had to change his team due to injuries and with it came a change of formation. Sodje was given a start up front on his own in a 4-5-1 formation supported by Procter from midfield who was also given a surprise start.

Bailey Wright moved into the centre to partner Huntington whilst Keane moved back to his more familiar role of right back with Laird ont he left. Wroe and Welsh started in midfield whilst young Hayhurst was given a a start out wide with Monakana on the other wing.

Preston put Palace under pressure right fromt he start and took the lead with less than two minutes played. A cross came in which sodje managed to nod down. Wroe finished home from close range.

Soon after Preston doubled their lead as Sodje managed to fire home in the box after scrapping for the ball. Palace were barely int he match at this point.

The visitors did get back in the game when Wilbraham headed home unmarked from a cross. Simonsen was making his debut in goals for Preston and should have done better with the cross.

The Whites restored their two goal lead before half time when a neat move ended up with the ball atthe feet of Manakana ont he left. He cut in on his right foot and from the corner of the box curled in a spectacular shot.

Soon after the interval Wroe curled in a shot from the edge of the box. The Palace keeper got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out of the net.

Zaha influenced the game more for the visitors in the second half as a substitue but Simonsen was rarely troubled on a night when Preston could have had more but tiredness told in the end.

The visitors were lucky to remain with 11 on the field. Firstly, a Palace defender who appeared to be the last man took down the North End attacker as he was going through but only a yellow card was given. Secondly, Zaha was only given a yellow for throwing is hands at a fellow player as things got heated towards the end.

All in all it was a good night for the Whites who will be hoping for a decent draw in the next round. It is now hoped that the cup form can be transferred to the league.


Trending on the forum